Re: 1.5 MILLIONTH MG IS A GOLDEN JUBILEE SPECIAL

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1.5 MILLIONTH MG IS A GOLDEN JUBILEE SPECIAL
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 02:17:55 +0930
Paul Root wrote:

> I got to see the ZT and ZT-T at MG2001 last summer. They had them roped
> off, but I was close. And the as I said before (but was edited out), I
> WANT ONE. It's a great looking wagon, looks to be a good size for my
> family, plus as an added bonus, has the Octagon on it. I'll undoubtedly
> end up with a Mazda 6 wagon if it comes over, since MG won't come back
> to the US in time.

Yep, the station wagon (estate car???) is pretty cool.  I need a new
one, but it won't be in that range (for throwing tools and parts in :-)

> These cars are re-done Rovers. Done right, done better, whatever you
> want to call it. That doesn't mean anything bad.

Good :-)

> Which brings up GM and the Holden. Lutz wants to bring the hot coupe up
> here as a Pontiac GTO. GM will do the opposite most likely though. Take
> a good car and make it worse. To me it looks like a Monte Carlo with a
> Mustang front end. Have you ever driven one of those, Eric? What's it like?

Ahhh, the Monaro.  See, everyone is doing it.  The Holden Monaro is a
bit of history and part of my youth originally coming out in the late
60's - it was the sporty brute of a car and the one that got turned into
a racer.

Now that have built the new version - and it is a brute of a car again.
Thundering V8, just the way Aussie revheads like it.

I haven't driven one but again I have been close by.  In fact I was just
around the corner in the city when some guys carjacked one that was
being taken for a testdrive shortly after it was launched!  See...
*someone* wanted one badly enough (they would make a great getway car),
but those people are now in court.

One just got smashed up in the Targa Tasmania rally (lotsa nice classic
cars doing that rally, too) today but the other is still going strong
against the Porsches and the like and being driven by the legendary
racer himself - Peter Brock (a Holden racer from way back).

There ya go... don't start me off again!

Here she is.  I know you want one (to drive on alternate days to your
MG, of course).

http://www.holden.com.au/app/serve?page=monaroEntry

--
Eric