Re: tonneau cover

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tonneau cover
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:40:48 -0700
on 4/22/02 8:34 AM, Marc at smarc@abs.net wrote:

> So, I want a tonneau cover for my 73 B. The only thing I know about them
> is that I want one! I see that Proper MG has them for $200 right
> now. I wonder about the quality of the various product I have seen.
> I assume I need the support rails as well... Any additional studs
> required in the car to attach the tonneau cover to?

I can't personally speak to the quality of this supplier, but the price is
pretty attractive. The support rails really help, although they are not
absolutely necessary. The features of the cover to look for are weight and
suppleness of the material (these are opposing tendencies that need to be
balanced), and the quality of the zippers and stitching. If the 73 is one of
the years that has the shoulder belts attached to the large stud on the rear
deck, the tonneau will have two extra zippers to allow the cover to be used
with the belt. Some covers have an extra flap sporting two snaps located in
front of the headrest bulge, which looks odd with the cover deployed, but
which neatly secures the folded down portion to the front edge of the
battery box when driving, creating a non-flapping, windproof enclosure over
the rear shelf.

As for extra stud or snap locations, it's really impossible to say until you
have one to fit. Locations that are sometimes missing include the top of the
dash on the driver's side, and on the rear quarter panels about halfway up
(this position can be used to secured the edges of the folded down portion
of the tonneau when driving).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149