A Gasket commando mission

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: A Gasket commando mission
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 16:28:04 -0400
I have a 1973 MGB that has sat in my garage since the day I bought it a year
and a half ago. It's got some electrical gremlins that need tracked down,
needs a brake overhaul, and leaks oil, badly, from somewhere, I suspect the
front side cover.

I need to do SOMETHING to it before the wife has it declared scrap and towed
away. I figured I'd start with the oil leak.

My current plan is to replace the following gaskets on the engine in one
commando raid session: Oil Pan, Timing Chain Cover, Tappet/Side Covers, head
gasket, valve cover gasket.

Also, since I'm not certain I can replace the side cover gaskets with the
intake and exhaust manifolds in place, I'd probably need to replace the
manifold gasket as well when I replaced them. Or do you think I can get the
side covers off easily enough without having to remove the exhaust and the
Weber DGV that are on there?

I'm a rookie mechanic, but I figure all of those gaskets, with the probably
exception of the head gasket, should be fairly easy to replace with the car
up on ramps and jackstands.

So, if anyone has advice, kind words, suggestions, dear-lord-dont-do-that's
I'd much appreciate it.

Also, what's the deal with the red gasket sealant goop. It seems like
another contentious subject, some people like it, others don't.

--
Chris Thompson