Re: A Gasket commando mission

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A Gasket commando mission
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 17:10:36 -0700
A little advice from someone who has been there:

Don't just tear into non-critical components right off the bat, unless you
are committing to a major overhaul.

By that I mean, don't wind up removing the carbs and manifolds, radiator,
motor mounts, whatever, then not getting back to it for awhile, and then not
knowing where you put everything or how to get it back together.

I only say this because you mentioned it had been sitting a year and a half.

I would try to be very focussed, and determine exactly which item was
leaking, and only work on that.

Then it would be more likely that you could get it done quickly, and move on
to the next step in getting it running.

The imminent prospect of having it run is a great motivator. A disassembled
pile of parts in unknown condition can be a big de-motivator. I am also
thinking of the public relations aspect of the project -- you want it to
look like you are making progress, not just making a big mess.

Anyway, something to consider...

As for gasket sealant, there is red, blue, clear, black, and copper --
choosing the correct one for your application requires reading the fine
print on the labels.

Good luck!

--

Max Heim