Re: Steering problems

To: "Geoffrey Gallaway" <geoffeg@sin.sloth.org>
Subject: Re: Steering problems
From: "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 20:01:46 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@ntsource.com>
To: "Geoffrey Gallaway" <geoffeg@sin.sloth.org>
Cc: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 11:40 AM

> At 09:35 AM 5/3/02 -0400, Geoffrey Gallaway wrote:
> >.... 69 BGT at highway speeds. If I hit the gas the car pulls noticeably
> >to the left, when I hit the brakes it steers to the right. ....
>
> This will inevitably be caused by shifting of the rear axle on the leaf
> springs.  When the rubber packing pads detioriate with age the u-bolts get
> loose.  Usual solution is just to tighten the u-bolts, but do be generous
> with the penetrating oil, and be prepared for the possibility that one of
> more of the u-bolts may break.  If the rubber pads are in really bad
> condition then should be changed.

If I may add to Barney's usual and customary astute analysis:

- Add several flat washers under each nut, this will compensate for any
stretching that may of occurred in the u-bolt and also prevent you from
bottoming out/running out of thread.

- Double nut the u-bolts, this will prevent further loosening.

- Be sure to tighten with all four tires on the ground, this will allow the
car to settle into position before you 'lock' in in with the final
tightening

Good luck, let us know if that was it...

Jeff
'70B