Re: What's a Graduate? (LBC, but not MG)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What's a Graduate? (LBC, but not MG)
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 02:11:55 +0930
Eric wrote:

> Tab Julius wrote:
> >
> > A look on the 'net this morning has found some references to an "Alfa Romeo
> > Spider Graduate", but I can't seem to find any good page on this model.  It
> > did have an Alfa look to it, certainly had the Spider look.  Anybody
> > familiar with this car?  You could contact me off-list so as to not clog up
> > the MG list (unless it's a slow day) :)
> >

>From those pictures (and on a foggy morning - and at first glance:-) I
guess you could see a little LBC in it.  Those Italians never had style
- they copied it from the MGB!

> There are lots to look at out there but not much more info about them -
> but probably is if you look harder (the above was about a ten minute
> search's worth).

Found some (and more than enough for an MG mailing list :-)

***************************

In 1983 and 1984, there was just the Spider Veloce.

In 1985 the line was split into three models, the Graduate, Veloce, and
Quadrifoglio (pronounced "kwah-drih-FOH-lee-oh).

The Graduate was the "introductory" level of trim, with vinyl seats,
vinyl top, and steel wheels. The Veloce came with leather seats, a cloth
top, power windows and power external rear view mirrors, and very
attractive "star" alloy wheels. The Quadrifoglio came with specially
designed leather seats, canvas top, "phone dial" alloy wheels, a/c
standard, special carpeting, a redesigned front spoiler and tacked-on
"side skirts, and a detachable hard top.

It should be noted that the cars differed only in trim, not in anything
important like engine output or handling goodies. The Graduate was
advertised as an "Enthusiast's Car"... i.e. it got all the important
stuff, but not the gadgets or the plush things.

Graduate = vinyl seats, no power windows or mirrors, steel wheels
(sometime with platic covers).

Veloce = leather seats, power windows and mirrors, Campagnolo "star"
alloy wheels.

Quadrifoglio = all above, phone dial wheels, side skirts, and removable hardtop

A/C was an option Veloce, maybe on the Grad, maybe standard on the quad.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII