Re: end of the SU vs Weber controversy

To: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: end of the SU vs Weber controversy
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 22:58:29 -0500
At 10:19 PM 5/10/02 -0400, Eric J Russell wrote:
>Think this would end the SU vs. Weber controversy?
>
>  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1827133440

I haven't seen one like that for years, and I was hoping I would never see
another one.  That manifold obviously has the horizontal runner positioned
well below the level of the ports in the head.  During cold start before
warm up and during particularly cold weather driving this feature allows
unvaporized (liquid) fuel to collect and puddle in the horizontal runner
rather than running directly into the cylinders.  Then when the intake
manifold does warm up and vaporize the accumulated liquid fuel it will run
overly rich for a while longer until all of the puddled fuel has vaporized.

As for the carburetor, that appears to be a single barrel carburetor, which
would likely have insufficient flow capacity at high speed and maybe also
poor fuel mixing at low speed.  But it might be a reasonable setup for a
Ford Ferguson tractor engine.

$.02,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude