RE: oil pressure guage

To: "'David Councill'" <dcouncil@imt.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: oil pressure guage
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 08:43:57 -0700
David:

        I don't have an answer as to why MG changed to the mechanical guage,
it could have been warranty related.
        The electrical sender did have a high failure rate and was extremely
expensive to replace.  I'm remembering about $95.00 from the dealer back in
the 80s.  It was discontinued by Smiths, so many owners had to do without or
convert to mechanical.

        There are a couple of repros out on the market now which are
reasonably priced and seem to be dependable so 68-71 owners don't have to
scrounge used units, or convert.

        You are correct, the flex line connects to a fitting on the
firewall, instead of the sender unit.  The block fitting is the same.

        The mechanical units are pretty dependable and as accurate as
necessary.  Be sure to replace the leather seal at the guage if you undo the
copper line.

K.