RE: Thermostat Studs

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thermostat Studs
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@marketvalue.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 10:54:27 -0600
Frank, I've used a Dremel to remove a broken easy out. Just drill around
the easy out carefully, from time to time you might try a pair of needle
nose pliers on the easy out.  Perhaps some GENTLE tapping with a chisel
and hammer.  Ultimately you will get it out.  When you do, you can use a
left hand drill bit to remove the stud.  Start small, and increase the
bit size, eventually the stud will just twist right out.  A helicoil
will probably not be necessary if you have been very careful not to
compromise the threads in the head.

The best bits I've found for my Dremel are small diamond tip bits I get
from my friend and dentist.

Typically when installing any new studs run a tap down the hole first
and always use anti-seize.  On the thermostat housing only one hole
should have anti-seize, the other two should have a thread sealant
(designed to seal threads not 'lock' the stud in place).

Good luck.

Larry Hoy