Re: Thermostat Studs

To: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thermostat Studs
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 19:53:38 -0500
At 09:04 AM 5/17/02 -0400, Phillips, Frank wrote:
>.... I ordered new studs from Moss but the threads, block side, do not
>match the stud I've removed (5/16" - 18?). Anyone know what the proper
>thread is? .... The Moss studs are also about 1/4 inch shorter.

The Moss part should be correct.  I have used these studs from Moss
recently, and all is well.  They should be fine threaded on both
ends.  Sounds like you have a typical DPO bodge there.  The studs available
at most local auto parts stores will generally be coarse threaded on the
short end (base) and fine threaded on the long end (top).  For a proper
repair at this point you need to drill out the buggered up thread and
install a Helicoil.

And If I was you I would carefully remove the other studs for
inspection.  Also keep in mind that two of the three holes go through into
the water jacket, so you should use thread sealant there to prevent water
from seeping up to rust up your new studs.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg