Camshaft Selection and more...

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Camshaft Selection and more...
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <mgs@duttenterprises.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:51:53 -0400
Hey gang,

So, here's a can o worms for y'all.  I'm in the learning-mode on this
subject, so any tips would be appreciated.  I'm in the process of selecting
a camshaft for my iminent engine building project...er...hired-out engine
building project. ;-)  Of course, I'll also seek the advice of the shop I
select to carry out the work, but I figured I'd throw it out to you guys for
some suggesions.

As some of you may already know, I've acquired a large lot of new parts from
a disheartened would-be restorer at quite a bargain.  Most of them are
exactly what I want/need, but some of his selections I'm not sure about,
particularly with the engine.  Here's the stuff I'm pretty confident about:

-MTX Crossflow Cylander Head
-1 3/4 SUs, already rebuilt professionally and like-new
-Peco Exhaust system and header, jet coated in and out

Now, we also have these, that I'm not sure are what I want.  I'll explain
why:

.30 over dish-top pistons  --  From what I've ready, .40 over flat tops are
a better way to go, not only for the slightly larger displacement, but for
the fact that you can dial in the compression ratio by dishing the pistons
as necessary, rather than decking the head.  Right, wrong, or indifferent?

Kent Cams 717:  Again, not sure about this cam.  I've been referring to the
tech articles at www.mgbmga.com quite a bit, as they seem to be the most
informative, experience-based knowledge base out there on MGB performance
tuning.  Doug doesn't recommend anything more than  225/235 duration for a
street performance cam, yet the 717 is rated at 280!  I'm not sure if the
reference point for these measurements is the same, so we're comparing
oranges to oranges.  To make matters more complicated, Doug's
recommendations are for the stock head, which apparently has intake issues
that prohibit the use of some of the hotter cams for street use.  With the
crossflow head, this may not be an issue.  Anyone have experience with this
cam and/or the crossflow head in this respect?

Another question:  Does anyone have any contact information for MTX, or
shall I just call Moss and try to get it from them?  If I could get flow
data and such on this head, it would help a whole lot with cam selection and
such.

Best Regards,

Jason