RE: Camshaft Selection and more...

To: "'Jason F. Dutt'" <mgs@duttenterprises.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Camshaft Selection and more...
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 09:47:08 -0700
> Another question:  Does anyone have any contact information
> for MTX, or
> shall I just call Moss and try to get it from them?  If I
> could get flow
> data and such on this head, it would help a whole lot with
> cam selection and
> such.

Jason:

        Pierce Manifolds is the manufacturer of the cross flow head.
Development is still underway to determine the best tuning for this major
change to the engine design.

        Be really careful in your cam selection, as you have to determine
where you want the power range of the engine.  The crossflow head really
makes a difference at high revs, so with the correct cam and compression
huge HP gains are possible at very high revs (>6500).  For most driving
styles in an otherwise unmodified car this is not going to be as much fun as
a less peaky engine with less horsepower.

        My very general understanding of the crossflow head is that it will
handle much more cam duration and compression than the original siamese port
head without drivability issues.  The old school rule of thumb was a 270
degree duration cam and 9-10:1 maximum compression for a tractable street
motor.  Now, all bets are off and 285-300 duration and 11:1 look realistic
for the crossflow head.

        Sorry I can't be more informative, I've been wanting to play with
these heads for years, but havn't had the free time.  They are not accepted
by my local race group, so I've had to build more standard motors.  I look
forward to hearing your experiences, and those of other list members as I
have two of the heads and am dying to put a motor together.  I just need
build a shop so the projects can continue.  Any volunteers for an old
fashioned barn raising are welcome.

all the best

Kelvin Dodd.