Re: MGB Weekend and trying not to be a DC(urrent)O

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Weekend and trying not to be a DC(urrent)O
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 18:55:19 -0700
on 5/26/02 1:04 PM, Patton Dickson at kpdii@earthlink.net wrote:

> As has been pointed out, if appears that I have the shift lever (installed
> 180 out), tension spring and spring retainer from the 3 synchro
> transmission. The spring and retainer sits a well and is retained by a
> large circlip. The PO has used this retaining system in order to used the
> early offset shift lever.   The question is?   Can I replace the hex headed
> cap screws with allen/socket head cap screws and a flat washers so I can
> run them down tight?    Could the PO not have really been a DPO but a
> I(nnovative)PO? I really do like the way this sets up.

What is it about this setup that is so great? I mean, have you ever driven a
4-sync with the correct shift lever for comparison? I don't see any
particular advantage here, and it seems to me you are going without any
method for adjusting the shifter tightness/looseness. Which may not be a
problem at the moment, but in future...

Also, I wonder if the two shift levers are identical lengths from the pivot
ball DOWN (we know they are different in the other direction). If this one
is slightly longer it might explain why the retainer doesn't seat correctly.

I suspect what happened is that the PO bought a tranny but it didn't come
with a shift lever, so he had to kludge this arrangement using his old
parts, some of which he had managed to misplace.

But obviously, if it seems to work, then it isn't really a high priority to
change it.

> I got the rear bumper on and fixed the flashers yesterday.  Drove it around
> the neighborhood a while.  It ran fine, shifted through all 4
> gears.   There is a clunking sound coming from the front of the car when it
> is moving that I can't place, it sounds like something maybe sitting in the
> fenderwell.  It sounds like something hitting inside the body rhythmically
> about .5 seconds apart at 30 MPH, not something in the engine.

Front wheel bearing?

> The temp gauge continues to show movement.  When I got the car it rested on
> 130: when cold instead of 90:, but rose to ~ 180: to 190: with a little
> driving.  A couple weeks ago it began to rest at 160:, now rests at 180:
> and it rises to 212:.  That doesn't sound like there is a problem with the
> bulb and sender, but the mechanical end at the gauge.  Has anyone seen this
> before?  That would be nice if this is repairable.

Huh, that's pretty erratic. Maybe the needle's just sticking. You could take
the glass off the gauge and clean it, I suppose (carefully).

Good luck.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149