Re: MGB Weekend and trying not to be a DC(urrent)O

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Weekend and trying not to be a DC(urrent)O
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 22:56:19 -0500
At 08:55 PM 5/26/2002, you wrote:
>What is it about this setup that is so great? I mean, have you ever driven a
>4-sync with the correct shift lever for comparison? I don't see any
>particular advantage here, and it seems to me you are going without any
>method for adjusting the shifter tightness/looseness. Which may not be a
>problem at the moment, but in future...

Yes, I have driven a car with a stock setup, but been a few years, and
transplanted into an early car.  This setup puts the gear shift farther
forward in the car than the straight shift would and feels very natural.

>Also, I wonder if the two shift levers are identical lengths from the pivot
>ball DOWN (we know they are different in the other direction). If this one
>is slightly longer it might explain why the retainer doesn't seat correctly.

The retain itself will seat correctly, the problem is that the hex bolt
heads bind against the "dish" causing trouble tightening.

>I suspect what happened is that the PO bought a tranny but it didn't come
>with a shift lever, so he had to kludge this arrangement using his old
>parts, some of which he had managed to misplace.

I got the straight shifter with the car, he may have lost the rest, but I
really think he did this intentionally.

> > fenderwell.  It sounds like something hitting inside the body rhythmically
> > about .5 seconds apart at 30 MPH, not something in the engine.
> >
>Front wheel bearing?

Maybe, I haven't even looked at the front end except for noting that I had
a torn boot down there.....

> > The temp gauge continues to show movement.

>Huh, that's pretty erratic. Maybe the needle's just sticking. You could take
>the glass off the gauge and clean it, I suppose (carefully).

Hopefully the needle is sticking somehow, I'll have to take it apart and see.

Thanks again,

Patton