Re: radiator mystery

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: radiator mystery
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 08:11:37 -0700
On Monday, June 3, 2002, at 08:41  PM, Aubrey Schneider wrote:

> 1975 B oe rad. Had it cleaned & tested & it performed as to original
> spec. Put it in the car & on a cool day, performs flawlessly. As
> soon as
> the weather warms up (like now) the rad gets quite hot, rising
> above the
> N, something it never does in cool weather.

Sounds like my car.  '75 B, original rad.  Whenever the weather
gets above 70 degrees, the car runs warm.  Above 90, it runs quite
hot.  Driving faster doesn't help :)

> I am using a 165 thermostat & a 15 lb rad cap.
> What, if anything am I doing wrong, or what can I do to correct this
> annoying problem.
> All answers would be gratefully accepted, please & thank you

The '75 system is supposed to be 10 lbs IIRC, but I don't see how
this equates.  I have a 7 lb cap, and get the same problems.

My radiator is currently in a shop, getting a new core (since I had
to pull it to remove the broken water pump, I might as well take
care of it).

The orig. radiator is a 3 row, flat radiator (according to the
shop).  I am replacing the core with a 4 row serpentine design.  I
am going to remove the engine driven fan, and rely on an electric
fan in its place, time (and summer heat) will tell me if this is
foolhardy!

--
Aaron Whiteman -- Thoughts of graduation vaguely apply.
  My opinions are mine and do not reflect the views of the University.