Re: radiator mystery

To: "'Aubrey Schneider'" <aschneider@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: radiator mystery
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 17:04:31 +0100
> Idling in cool weather is never a problem but now, she just climbs &
> climbs, 'specially idling in traffic. Even by turning on the heater full
> bore, makes no difference.

If you have the mechanical fan then even this will show the temp rising
above N if the engine has got hot and then left to idle on a warm day, but
it should drop if the bonnet is opened.  Completely normal for a car with
electric fans for the gauge to cycle around mid-way between N and H as the
fan cuts in and out, of course.

> > The challenge is, when reaching a destination, turning off &
> > returning say 10 min's later, she has thrown up about a cup
> > of anti-freeze.

Chucking coolant *after* you switch off usually means the engine is too
hot - when the coolant circulation stops the normal heat-soak raises the
temp at the hot-spot above that which the pressure cap can suppress, it
boils locally, and the sudden expansion forces coolant out since it is
coolant that is nearest the cap.  You can try a new cap but I have heard
tell that some American caps don't fit the MG radiator properly and don't
develop the indicated pressure.  Timing either retarded or advanced will
increase engine heat.  Check the mixture.  Check the coolant flow, again I
hear tell that the 'wrong' water pump fits but does not circulate the
coolant adequately, check the rad isn't blocked.  After that it is down to
more major problems inside the engine I suspect.