Re: Strange Intermitent Electrical Problem

To: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>, "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Strange Intermitent Electrical Problem
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:37:22 +0100
Battery 'fairly new' counts for nowt, I'm afraid, BT, DT.  Before you go
ripping in to the starter I would do some tests.  First, does the ignition
warning light dim right down when you try to crank and it doesn't?  If so
that could be battery or some of the heavy-current connections.  If it stays
bright then it is either the engine/transmission ground strap (do the
accellerator and heater cables get hot?) or the motor/solenoid.

If the warning light dims you need to check the voltage right on the battery
posts (not the clamps) and if this drops right down when it won't crank then
the problem is almost certainly the battery.  If the battery voltage doesn't
drop then measure the volt-drops in the hot and ground circuits as follows:
Connect the voltmeter between the hot battery post (not the clamp) and the
hot post on the solenoid.  During cranking this should ideally be in the
order of 1/4 to 1/2 of a volt.  If more than 1 volt it shows bad
connections.  Do the same between the battery ground post and the body of
the motor.

However bear in mind that if there is something physically stopping the
starter motor turning then even though the battery and connections are sound
you will still get a significant volt-drop at the battery, more ao than
during normal cranking.