Re: starter motor removal

To: "Aubrey Schneider" <aschneider@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: starter motor removal
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:26:01 -0500
Aubrey:

    I found the clutch cylinder nuts similarly frozen on my '71. It took
some finagling, but I was able to replace the starter on my '71 without
disturbing the clutch cylinder, or the distributor. As I remember, the
biggest problem was a slight interference with the brake hose bracket. I had
to use a little persuasion with a screw driver to pry the starter past the
bracket. This bent the bracket ever so slightly, which eliminated the
interference.

I found the top bolt can be accessed with a socket on an extension. (There
is not enough room to swing a wrench on this bolt.) It was a big pain
getting the top bolt started again on the new starter. It was hard to get it
lined up. I had to leave the lower bolt real loose, and jiggle the starter
as I inserted the bolt.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470