Re: Tach Problems

To: "Telewest (PH)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Tach Problems
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:38:09 -0500
  The white wire loop is probably not at fault.  No one opened up the
tach, did they?  A loose or bad connection there would make the engine
run roughly.  The tach is an electronic unit with the loop as the
trigger source.  As such, the tach needs to be connected to 12 volts and
a good ground.  I have one of that type tach in front of me now.  There
are four connections.  Two are bullet connections for the white wires.
Two are blade connections for 12 volts and ground.  The 12 volt
connector is located on the PC board between the bullet connections.
That's probably where the electrical shop connected the new wire.  I'd
get behind there and find the original wire in the harness and connect
it back up, eliminate the extra wire and make sure the ground is
connected correctly.

  I ran into this with an MG I bought on spec. One of the probs was that
the tach didn't work.  The reason was as above.  In other word, BTDT.
YMMV but it's worth a look.

  Cheers,

   CR