Re: Cops vs.LBCs

To: "Chuck Renner" <crenner@dynalivery.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cops vs.LBCs
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:47:24 -0500
While at summer camp, Chuck wrote -- and I agree, generally,

> Yes, the limits may be set artificially low, etc., but when I get
> nailed fair and square, it's just means I lost that round, and I
> have to pay up.

   On this count, I have to <mildly> question "...artificially low..."
because we, the motorsport-enjoying-minority, make up such
a tiny fraction of the driving community.  I agreee totally with
the pay-up if you goof-up philosophy.    To most people, a
car is just a 'major appliance' and is treated with similar
concern and respect.  I consider a 3000 pound car at road
speeds to be a lethal weapon and I have to accept the
responsibility for it's use and the safety of those around me.
Most people go looking for someone to blame when their own
actions end up causing an accident.  I also consider most people
as poorly trained drivers who know little-to-nothing about their
automobile or the physics that governs its use and abuse.  I believe
that cars should be HARD to drive so we will pay attention.  To
hell with cupholders, self-leveling air suspension and cell phones!
Then again, I am somewhat of a cynic with little respect for the
human species. :-\  Perhaps the 'artifically low' speed limits are
the best way to keep the average 'major appliance' (read:SUV)
driver from killing us all.

> The problem is with the insurance industry, who will then use
> those tickets against you to increase your rates.

   Sadly, my friend, GREED is the force that drives all action.

> So while I'll freely admit to my 'wrongdoing', I'm certainly not going
> provide extra cash flow to the insurance company as a result.

   Unfortunately they have us somewhat over a barrel in that
one can never win a debate with another who believes, or can
adequately demonstrate to the 'unwashed', that they have the
moral high-ground.  Try living in Tulsa, a.k.a., the Buckle
of the Bible Belt where ANY action can be justified by claiming
that it is God's will -- especially if there is an attractive profit
margin attached to it!
   Thanks for your comments.  I do believe that we, the motorsport
community, are a minority so we must pull together.

Best,

Rick