Re: Cops vs.LBCs

To: David Breneman <idcb@airborne.com>
Subject: Re: Cops vs.LBCs
From: Stephen West-Fisher <steve@coastaldatasystems.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:31:31 -0400
David Breneman wrote:

> Not surprisingly, the insurance industry is a very
> vocal advocate of automatic ticket-writing machines
> such as "traffic enforcement cameras".  The makers
> of these machines usually provide them to the police
> in exchange for a *percentage of the income* generated
> by them.  Everybody wins!  The jurisdiction gets
> revenue, the manufacturer gets profits, and the
> insurance company rakes in increased premiums from
> otherwise safe drivers.  Everybody wins, that is,
> except the driver, who's the victim of this money grab.

Interesting argument, except if you don't break the law, you don't get
caught, so you are not a victim.

How many people are hurt each year due to someone else loosing control
of their vehicle due to speed higher than the conditions allow?
Regardless of speed limit?

I do, however, ignore the little yellow signs :-)

--
Stephen West-Fisher
Coastal Data Systems