Re: Cops vs.LBCs

To: steve@coastaldatasystems.com
Subject: Re: Cops vs.LBCs
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:38:00 EDT
In a message dated 8/20/02 5:33:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
steve@coastaldatasystems.com writes:

> > such as "traffic enforcement cameras".  The makers
> > of these machines usually provide them to the police
> > in exchange for a *percentage of the income* generated
> > by them.  Everybody wins!  The jurisdiction gets
> > revenue, the manufacturer gets profits, and the
> > insurance company rakes in increased premiums from
> > otherwise safe drivers.  Everybody wins, that is,
> > except the driver, who's the victim of this money grab.
>
> Interesting argument, except if you don't break the law, you don't get
> caught, so you are not a victim.

- - - - - - - - -

In the instance of "red light cameras," they are shortening the length of the
yellow light so that they catch more people going thru on red.  Now that
isn't fair.  And they have found that when they lengthen the yellow light
duration, they catch fewer people running the red, and profits go down.

I think that municipalities should concentrate on safety and not profit.
Safety does not mean 25MPH speed limits everywhere, either.  A GOOD driver
knows how to pass a slower vehicle.  By taking away all the passing zones, as
they have in SE PA, they are not giving drivers a chance to learn safe
passing techniques.  When I was a new driver, we had passing zones
everywhere, and I learned how much room I needed to pass.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"