RE: Clutch Might-as-Wells

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Clutch Might-as-Wells
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:16:47 -0500
> such, I'm
> putting together a list of the things I may as well replace
> at the same time
> I do the repair.  The clutch and pressure plate are obvious, and I'm
> thinking that new engine and tranny mounts are also in order...
>
> Does anyone else have any other ideas on things I might as
> well replace?

I'm in the middle of this myself, and right now my engine is in pieces and
the entire engine bay is stripped...  :)  So you'll have to decide on a
stopping point.

While you have things out/apart, I'd consider the following to be the
minimum as related to the clutch:

* Engine and tranny mounts, which you already mentioned.

* Remove the bolt holding the clutch fork and examine the bolt and the fork
bushing for wear.  Replace if worn or out of round.  In my case, there was
noticeable wear on the bolt.  I bought a new bolt and bush, but the new bolt
actually fits more snugly in the old bush, so I'm leaving it in place.

* Check where the throwout bearing pivots on the fork and make sure those
surfaces aren't worn out of round.

* Have a machine shop resurface the flywheel.

* Replace the pilot bushing.

* Consider replacing the rear main seal on the engine, and the front seal
and gasket on the tranny.

That's pretty much it in terms of things you can't get to at any other time.
If you have any leaks at the oil pan, now would also be a good time to take
care of that too.  Just beware that once things like oil pans start coming
off, you'll start thinking about the oil pump, etc....