Re: MOSS or VB

To: "Mgs@autox.team.net" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MOSS or VB
From: JAMES SCHULTE <schultejim@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:38:57 -0700 (PDT)
Chris and Listers,
I must comment on what Chris said about aluminum fly
wheels and the other after market performance parts
that VB sells.  My friend and I have 6 LBC's between
us.  We spend a lot of money on our hobby.  We order
from a large group of vendors.  All of which have been
mentioned and more.  My friend has an 80LE with the
aluminum fly wheel, aluminum cross flow head 1 3/4
SU's,  Mallory Dual point ignition, bored .060 etc,
etc.  It screams compared to a normal B.  In this day
and age and living where we live, you need to be able
to travel on our highways and not get run over.  He
drives his as a daily driver and has put 40,000 on
this engine in the past couple of years.  I drove it
after he tuned it up last night. It has no lag in
first gear as you alluded to. He used Ron Burgesses
book on "How to Power Tune an MGB" and did it right.
When I got it to 5,000 rpm's it said go for more but I
chickened out, cause I'm more conservative in my
driving.  My car is a 78B with shaved block and head,
bored .040, with a modified street cam and twin 1 1/2'
SU's, headers, Ansa exhaust, bullit center exhaust.
It can get out of it's own way but 1st gear is a
little sluggish unless you rev it first.   I have
modified my B cause PA Classic tags doesn't require
emission tests.
I don't drive over 2500 miles on my car.   My wife's
car is a stock 70B with everything standard for that
year from engine to exhaust.  That's the way it will
stay.  My friend also is building a 215 V8 in his
1976B.  Needless to say it will be a respectable road
car (-;  He also has a 74 TR6, which will be stock
when he finishes it.
So my point to all this rambling is, we use whatever
vendor suits us best for the project we are on.  Some
parts are not available from Moss like my Hardtop
brackets but VB has them. This is not a rush item.
Moss delivers to us in 24 to 48 hours UPS standard
cost if we need something quick.
Jeff at LBC has great prices as long as we are not in
a hurry.  It usually takes 5-7 working days for his
products to get to us in PA standard cost UPS or DL,
whatever he uses.  But we like his prices and
enthusiasm.  I sent him an email at 3 a.m. last winter
on a Saturday night and he answered it 5 minutes
later, enough said about that.
So, who is the best.  If someone twisted my arm for an
answer, Moss by far. But don't put down people that
want to modify their machines with aluminum fly wheels
etc. Cause we are also purists with our other LBC's.
Now don't get your hair up on this Chris, just
friendly banter (-:
Jim
78B for sale
70B wife's
70B parts car now in quarters
seeking MGCGT/C roadster as soon as 78B is sold!!!!