Wheel Bearings

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheel Bearings
From: "Steve P." <mgbyellow@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:28:05 -0500
I know this subject has been beaten to death here on the list lately, but I
find myself in the middle of wheel bearings and need some input.

I had leaking oil seals in the rear of my 79 B and decided to do the bearings
at the same time since I had them on the shelf.  As Paul Hunt said in an
earlier post "Tube axle hubs are a doddle to get off".  Not sure what he
meant, but it was pretty straight forward and easy to do.

Then I moved to the front of the car and started to look for some squeaking
that was happening there.  Bearings maybe?  I have one hub off and the other
is still on.  The nut on that side was put on by Goliath and I haven't been
able to budge it yet.  Maybe tomorrow with some fresh energy and a bigger
persuader!

What I don't understand is the shim thing.  Will the shims I take out with the
old bearings put the new ones back with the proper end float or should I be
prepared to use some other combination of shims.  I bought the new bearings
and seal at the local NAPA store and when I asked about shims they didn't know
what I was talking about.  Also, do the bearings have to be pressed in/out by
a machine shop or is it something I can do on my own with limited tools.

Thanks,

Steve