Re: Wheel Bearings

To: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearings
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:39:16 -0500
 Looks like Paul has had much the same experience I had.  I started out
to service the front wheel bearings, including checking the hub
end-float.  So I ordered the seals and a handful of shims.  I recorded
the shim sizes upon disassembly for reference.  Well boys 'n girls there
were a couple of bearings that looked a bit blued, so I ordered new
ones, including races.  I went thru the procedure found on
mgb-stuff.org.uk, wound up with the same total shim thicknesses as
before on both sides.  Now, one could say there's room for measurement
error in the method I used and I'd agree.  Shux, there's room for
measurement error in any method.  However, it worked OK for me.  YMMV
all, but if you take the hubs off, make sure to record the shim sizes.

  Cheers,

   CR