Re: Get your Mexican MGs across the border!

To: Robert.Haigney@anixter.com
Subject: Re: Get your Mexican MGs across the border!
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:23:38 -0400
Robert Haigney wrote:

> Not necessarily, what's to stop us crossing the border and
> driving one back over, wouldn't it be the same as registering
> a kit car in the US....??  Maybe I should start importing them
> on an individual basis.....any ideas on what the legalities are
> of bringing a car across the border are....???
>
> Robert.

But it isn't a kit car.  It already has an assigned VIN from the
manufacturer.  The problem is going to occur when your state asks you to
present the manufacturer's statement of origin; at least in PA, you're
required to do so for specialty constructed vehicles - kit cars and hot
rods.

On bringing a car across the border, you have to prove that you have all the
proper emissions and safety equipment on the car, and provide manufacturer's
proof of that also.  All the emissions stickers, stating that the car meets
US emissions regulations, must be identifiable on the car (check your late
model MGBs, you'll see them on the inner fenders and elsewhere), all the
airbag stickers must be in place on the windscreen visors and other places
as well.  This all happens at the border crossing, so just getting your car
across the border is a major issue.  I wouldn't expect a new MG to have
emissions stickers acknowledging that it complies with US emissions
regulations.

Now once you got your new MG into the states, you would have to somehow
trick your state's DMV into letting them assign you a title.  I mean really,
how can a modern steel unibody vehicle pass as a kit car?  Once again, in
PA, you're required to send photographs of the car you're trying to register
as a kit car.

I will be going to Canada in a few weeks time to bring back my newly
purchased TR6.  Fortunately, the car is older than 25 years (it is a 1973),
and I am no longer required to show valid emissions and safety
specifications for a vehicle of that age.  I still expect to be grilled at
the border about the actual age of the vehicle and I expect to also be
hassled about other things.  Another club member bought a pristine TR8 out
of Canada, which did need to have all the emissions stickers and equipment
in place.  It did, and he successfully brought it into the US a few years
ago.

The process of bringing in cars, such as the new MGs, is considerably easier
if you're a non-citizen of the US.  You're allowed to have your vehicle in
the USA and drive it for a period no greater than 18 months.  This is
exactly why some of you may have seen a TVR Cerbera shooting around the San
Francisco region about two years ago.  Which beckons to ask, what happens to
the TVR after the 18 months were up?  For those wanting more info about the
TVR example, check out http://www.tvrfreak.com

Those of you wanting to know how much I'm going to get hassled at the
border, I'll let you know soon :P

Kai