Re: Hobby in decline?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hobby in decline?
From: Kevin Smith <ksmith40@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:16:10 -0500
If the hobby is truly falling off its last leg, why aren't parts companies
closing in droves?  When I was in High School, the cool things were lifted
4x4's, Novas and Chevelles, and Pontiac Fieros.  I drove a VW, a Fiat, and
then a MGB.  I went to a small school, but nobody but me and one other kid
drove anything "different".  The reason I'm a MGB fan is that possibly
there is a bit of Peter Pan in me, or possibly there is a bit of Stirling
Moss in me, or both.  The more I read and experience about British motoring,
  the more I love it.  Today's youngsters see movies like "The Fast and the
Furious" where other more hip youngsters are presumably driving Celicas,
Accords, and Focuses that would make John Force wet his pants.  Heck, even
James Bond has been driving a German car.  What a young mind sees and
thinks is cool, a young mind wants to emulate or experience.  Just ask Joe
Camel or your local tattoo guy.

The R/C Modeling hobby is in a similar state.  Mostly what you see is gray
bearded guys with the patience to actually build an airplane.  Today's
youth have always had microwave pizza.  They have always had drive-through
fast food.  They have no patience with vehicles that require routine
maintenance.  Most think British cars are stodgy old man cars that cost a
fortune.  Plus, many parents have this whole, "if the other guy is in an
SUV, I want my kid to be protected by a larger SUV" attitude.  We have an
SUV, but I want my kid to drive (and work on) a British car if only for the
experience.  I will not be buying him/her a Mack dump truck for the
protection it provides, because someone else will drive a Caterpillar D-4,
  and I would have to buy my kid a D-8.

I think the best way to get some young blood in the hobby is to have car
shows where they get to drive the vehicles.  This is what the R/C hobby
does.  They bring some trainer planes to "fly-ins" (air shows), and let the
young folks try them out.  Now, before you say "There's no way in hell I'm
letting some kid I don't know take my restored '58 MGA out for a spin,"
think about possibly letting him or her drive it while you ride along (and
let them get over 40 MPH).  Once they get the fun experience with British
cars, they just might want one for themselves.  They just might pick up a
cheap RBB and join a club.  Making club meetings fun for the younger folks
is another matter.

Kevin (man, am I long winded or what?)
'68 MGB Roadster (under restoration)
'72 MGB Roadster (rust growth experiment)