Re: 67 tranny back into engine

To: JAMES SCHULTE <schultejim@prodigy.net>,
Subject: Re: 67 tranny back into engine
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 21:21:46 -0600
I think I missed part of this thread. I'm assuming this is the method where
the transmission remains in the car and then you lower and attempt to mate
the engine with it?

I just did the "correct" method of putting the engine and transmission in
as one unit. Still, the mating of the engine and transmission before the
lowering was not as smooth as I thought it would be. The pilot shaft from
the transmission must go in perfectly straight and the clutch pressure
plate must also be centered perfectly so the shaft can slide in.

First of course would be the insure the clutch is centered using a
centering tool or perhaps a wood dowel.

After that, I use four 5/16" bolts of about 5" length. These are used on
alternating holes mating the bell housing to the engine to pull the two
together evenly on all sides. Once its pulled together, I use same size
bolts of 3 or 3.5 inch length to bolt the two together. Still may take
about an hour (the first time I put the engine in and tried to line it up,
I spent at least half a day wrestling it until I got the angle right).

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B