Re: RHD, no thanks.

To: Zubrovka <zubrovka@earthlink.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RHD, no thanks.
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 07:59:37 -0400
At 02:40 AM 09/06/2002 -0400, Zubrovka wrote:
>This made me remember riding one night across the countryside of
>Scotland in a Damiler Double Six sedan (Jaguar XJ).  The gentleman
>driving was really getting into the spirit of it, but every time we
>took a sharp curve and met oncoming headlights, I found myself
>grabbing for controls that weren't there.  I'm pretty sure if I
>attempted to drive in the UK, I would get in an accident in a
>situation like that.  Instinctively pull the car to the wrong side
>and WHAM.
>John

In 1990 the NEMGTR Circuit of Britain had 89 cars travel some 3000 miles
over three weeks in Britain. 90% had never driven on the left before and
were in left hand drive cars. (about 75% had never been to Europe before)

There was only one minor accident ( a TC was clipped exiting the Jamaica
Inn in Cornwall because they failed to look right) Its the looking right
that is hard, not the keeping left. That is why some many non Brit
pedestrians are hurt crossing the street in England. We  non Brits step off
the curb and glance left first, by habbit.

Although I have and drive a TC and a YB (both right hand drives) here in
the states and I never seem to have a problem shifting or operating the car
 (except when passing which is rarely done)  I took my  left hand drive TF
on the British trip and had no problem after repeating to myself a thousand
times, LOOK RIGHT, KEEP LEFT.

Mike