Re: Damn pedestrians!

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Damn pedestrians!
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:29:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Skye Poier wrote:

> I think we can agree that EVERYONE needs to obey the rules of the road
> more, which includes paying attention to what's going on around you.

Bravo!

> Definately an urban viewpoint,

Not entirely.  I live in Pullman.  Pullman, a town of 26000, with an
undergraduate population of 17K is not exactly your picture of urban
development.

However, even here, we have to "take on" traffic, for if we don't
just walk out in the street (given that we give at least a _little_
stopping room), I could not get to work, or to class.

Further, if the bus did not have the right of way, 60 people (40
sitting, another 20 standing down the aisleway) would never make it to
campus, for the traffic is just thick enough a large vehicle (like
perhaps a BUS) would not be able to merge.

Drivers today (for the most part) have no courtesy, and laws like the
right of way for busses (when returning to traffic) are a reflection
of that.

Where I grew up (Elma, WA, 2600 people), this was never an issue,
since traffic was never heavy enough to impede pedestrian traffic.

--
Aaron Whiteman
'75 B, '77 me.