Re: MGF mid-engine or not???

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGF mid-engine or not???
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 07:39:53 +0930
Well, to answer the question again, I sat in a nice, shiny new MG-TF
(parked amongst a few 'slightly' older T-series cars) in the car park of
our club rooms last night.  I think the fact that it has a boot/trunk
behind the engine indicates that it is not a rear-engined car even
though there is only a couple of feet of body behind the engine.

The boot/trunk is pretty small, in fact it was agreed that with no real
space behind the seats (that is where the engine is), the total combined
storage space fore and aft is smaller than that of an MGB.  You wouldn't
be able to put the family groceries in this car if you had a passenger.

Having said that, though, I have no doubt that this car is not designed
to be your average family car :-)  I am always amazed at how 'short' (in
length) the car is.

It is a lovely looking little vehicle that feels just right to sit
yourself in.  The high doors (compared to my 'B) and 'stockiness' of the
vehicle, and with the engine behind your seat, makes it feel really 'solid'.

And of course the big test for all those tyre kickers and door slammers
out there - there is NO door slamming.  A gentle push on the door gives
you a satisfying clunk into place.

So, when am I going to get my chance to actually DRIVE the thing....
maybe sooner than you think.  I am going to be putting pressure on the
dealer to let me give it a spin this weekend (the weather report is for
fantastic spring weather).

I will let you all know how I go.  Eat your hearts out :-)

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

"Nothing overshadows truth so completely as authority"
ALBERTI