Never under estimate your DPO. (If you had one...)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Never under estimate your DPO. (If you had one...)
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:27:20 -0600
Of the many things my DPO screwed up on my car, this is one of the
better (worse?) ones.

I was replacing my worn out hubs today.  I got back to the 4th wheel
(right rear) last.  When I went to pull out pin from the castle nut, I
noticed that the pin was not through the nut.  The nut was in so deep
that the pin would not go through the... towers?  (The turrets, or
whatever you call those things on the castle nuts that the pin goes
though.)

Strange I thought.  I pulled the pin out and found the nut loose.  (Not
finger tight, loose.)  Not too suprising, that is how the on front one
was, but the pin was in correctly.  The hub was as loose as the nut.  I
then proceeded to replacing the leaking seal when it dawned on me why
the seal might have been leaking, why the nut was loose and why the pin
was not in place correctly.  My DPO left off the axle shaft collar.  I
looked at the inside of the old hub, and at the nut.  Sure enough, the
nut is rounded on the bottom corners and the seat for the collar is
damaged.

It was the last wheel of course, so the brit car places were all
closed.  So I didn't finish today.  Tomorrow I will go and buy a new $5
part and hopefully finish with my hubs.

That guy was a REAL DPO!  I hope his eyes are burning when I send this.
(Your ears ring when someone is talking bad about you right, so email
must make your eyes burn...)

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net