Re: 94hp, 1800cc vs 1622cc engine(longish)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 94hp, 1800cc vs 1622cc engine(longish)
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 00:29:00 +0930
Tim Baxter wrote:

> >     I was on the SCCA club team in Charleston,Wv. in
> > the mid 60's. One of our cars was an Elva
> > Courrier,class E Production.>
>
> >at Virginia International Raceway, it
> > would do a clocked 122 MPH down the back straight. I
> > am guessing we had over 100HP at the rear wheels. We
> > never spun the engine over 7000 rpm.
>
>  The Elva went so fast because Elvas don't
> weigh anything. Anyway, you tune the 1622 and the 1800 the same way,
> and you'll get similar results. 1800 will have the edge due to
> displacement. There are those who say the 3-bearing motors turn
> better, but I dont' think it's significant enough to offset the
> increased wear.

My first question was going to be "and how much does an Elva weigh"?

My friend has a 4 cylinder 'B racecar that goes considerably faster than
my car at the same track.  The differences being that it has been
ultra-worked to 2 litres; ultra lightened (there is little metal left in
the bodywork and the inside is totally stripped); and runs on slicks.

I do 1:34 and he does 1:25 per lap but they are both 4 cylinder MGB's.
The weight and tyres would be a lot of that difference - and
aerodynamics too, seeing as he has lost the heavy and aerodynamically
ghastly windscreen... those would be 5/6 seconds of the difference - the
just leaves 4/5 seconds up to the extra horsepower.

I wouldn't knock back and extra 25hp - but that still wouldn't make my
car as fast as the lightened vehicles.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

"Nothing overshadows truth so completely as authority"
ALBERTI