Re: 94hp, 1800cc vs 1622cc engine(longish)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 94hp, 1800cc vs 1622cc engine(longish)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:11:11 -0700
It would seem unlikely that there is any inherent superiority either way, as
the engine design is identical. More displacement should equal more power,
everything else being equal -- and in this case it really IS equal.

In this example you never had yours on the dyno, so it can't really be
compared. I suspect a Courier is lighter and has less frontal area than
either an A or B, so your impression may have been deceiving. Or you may
have achieved a higher state of tune than Eric's car has at present. But I
don't see any reason why your Elva wouldn't have been even faster with a
similarly-prepared 1800.

The twin cam would be a different story (to head off the obvious rejoinder).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149