Re: 94hp, 1800cc vs 1622cc engine(longish)

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 94hp, 1800cc vs 1622cc engine(longish)
From: Howard gentry <zymmer4@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:18:21 -0700 (PDT)
> > A stock early B will show around 64Bhp @ 5000rpm
> at the wheels
> >

> Hello listers,
    I have been following this thread with some
interest. Why?  Because I am wondering if the B engine
is as easily tuned to some higher HP than the A
engine.
     I was on the SCCA club team in Charleston,Wv. in
the mid 60's. One of our cars was an Elva
Courrier,class E Production. This fine little car had
the 1622cc MG-A engine installed. The car belonged to
a Dr. Reel. His son, Gil, and myself tuned this
engine. We had large valves, 10.5 to 1 compression,
and a race type Crane cam installed. Carbs were SU HS
4's. Exhaust header was "factory". Aside from a lot of
work on the cylinder head and some careful balancing,
we did little to this engine. We never had it on a
proper dyno, but at Virginia International Raceway, it
would do a clocked 122 MPH down the back straight. I
am guessing we had over 100HP at the rear wheels. We
never spun the engine over 7000 rpm.
     With a silencer fitted, Gil drove this car on the
street when it was not on a track somewhere. It was
reliable in that venue, as it lived on the street some
years before Gil flipped it over and burned it to the
ground one night.
     So, to those out there who have tuned both the B
and the A MG engines...Is the 1622cc engine easier to
tune to say 120 HP at the flywheel than the 1800 cc
engine?   Just wondering.
Howard
http://sbc.yahoo.com