RE: MGB Stowaway vs. Folding Tops

To: "'Bill Snyder'" <wtsnyder@juno.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB Stowaway vs. Folding Tops
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:34:27 -0700
Bill:

My apologies, but I'm going to blow my own horn for a moment.  During the
summer I convinced the "powers that be" at Moss Motors to stock MGB Stowaway
tops with zip out rear windows.  The tops are made by Robbins, who have been
making them to special order since at least the 80s.  Sort of an obvious
thing to ask for, but historically there was a strong emphasis on
originality.

As for the difference, the stowaway top is a tad bit taller than the later
folding top.  Originally the B did not get a zip out window until 1976 when
it was installed in the available folding top.

The zip out rear window makes a great difference if you are in a sunny
clime.  The top can be left up to protect you from the sun, and the rear
window unzipped to allow ventilation.  Zip out windows may not be a good
idea if you have a roll bar, as some bars put too much stress on the zipper.

hope this helps

Kelvin.