RE: Parts cars for my BMH body shell

To: "'Don Malling'" <dmallin@attglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: Parts cars for my BMH body shell
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:12:38 -0700
Don:

No problem with your notion.  The car you want to build is quite achievable.

My suggestion is to build a 1969 MGB with a 1967 dash, interior and complete
wiring harness.

Mechanically the car will be a 1969 (except delete the emmision stuff if you
legally can).

Install a 63-67 dashboard and steering column into the shell, using the
mounting flange from a rusted out junk car.  (note, this bit usually doesn't
rust, so it is going to be available from one of the British speciality
yards).

You will need a full set of 63-67 gauges and switches which will be tough to
find.  The tach will have to be a 66-67 converted to negative ground.  The
speedo will need to be calibrated to work with the later box.

Use a new 66-67 wiring harness.  There will be a few changes, the major one
being to wire it for an alternator (this is a very common conversion
anyway).  The brake light switch wire is about the only other change that
comes to mind, if you wanted to stick with the 69 dual brakes (not a bad
idea).  Oops, you will need to add an extension onto the starter wiring,
again no big deal and another common conversion.  I would suggest installing
a pair of early tail lights, but that is personal preference.

Simply put, playing mix n match with MGB parts is pretty easy especially
when compared to reshelling a complete car.

Going from memory, so it's probably incorrect. (i'm sure someone out there
will correct me if so)  The 1969 seat frames will work fine with 63-68
covers and cushions.  The 1970 onward reclining seats won't but I'm pretty
sure the 1969 frame is a slightly re-fashioned version of the 1963-68.

To install the early dash, the section of cowl between the windshield and
the dash must be changed.  This has to be done carefully, as the flat sheet
metal is prone to distortion when welded.  The seam can be made under the
windshield seal, so is covered.  The underside does need some care, as the
center strengthening support structure is part of the section.

I did bump into a gentleman up in Durango Co. who had built a 1967 on a
Heritage shell, but we didn't go into details.

Kelvin.