Re: Newbie: questions (LONG)

To: gavin_dennis@hotmail.com ("Gavin Dennis"), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie: questions (LONG)
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 12:49:24 -0500
In a message dated 11/8/2002 12:02:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gavin_dennis@hotmail.com writes:

> what should my first step be in preparing the car for
> auto-x.  I will have to drive it to the events because i can't trailer it
> with my VW.  I don't want to restore the car because it is by no means
> perfect but lots of fun.  I have been auto-xing for a while and think this
> would be a fun car to race.  Is it competitive at FSP or
> should i try to
> keep in in H-stock?

- - - - - - - - - - -

I would try to keep it in H-stock.  You will be up against VW Sciroccos with
coil over shocks in FSP.  (Ask me how I know!!!)

To stay in H-stock, you have to be very stock.  You can use K&N air filters and
fancy sparking plugs and plug wires.  Tires have to be on the original rim size
and street legal.  You can't strip the interior, etc.  You prolly know all that.

What you CAN do to help your car a bit, is get rebuilt shox from Peter C. at
World Wide Auto Parts in Madison, WI.  Peter can set up the valves to stiffen
the ride a bit.  And it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Replace any worn out bushings as well.  I'm not sure if urethane bushings are
legal in H-stock, but they would help.  Even if they aren't legal, most
REGIONAL Solo II events will probably let you stay in H-stock with MINOR
modifications.  Just don't try to go to the Nationals that way!

So contact Peter C. at nosimport@mailbag.com and talk to him about suspensions.
 You'll be glad you did!

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward