Re: Newbie: questions (LONG)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie: questions (LONG)
From: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:14:28 -0500

- - - - - - - - - - -

>>I would try to keep it in H-stock.  You will be up against VW Sciroccos
with coil over shocks in FSP.  (Ask me how I know!!!)
-------------------

I autocross my early '74 B-GT.  I started out in H stock and found the car
to be a lump in stock form - at least compared to the competition.  The
worse thing about H stock for B's is the 'no updating, no backdating' rule.
The 70 would have to be the one of the best year B for H stock due to this.
Low compression motors, heavily smogged engines, single carbed engines, high
ride heights, or heavy rubber bumpers are a terrible disadvantage in
H-Stock, but the rules don't allow changes to anything!  Also, if you have
wire wheels, you aren't allowed to do the reasonable thing and fit Minator
knockoffs - because they are too much wider than stock.  You pretty much
have to have bolt-ons to be able to run competitively.  All these factors
led me to change to FSP, where I could fix the bigger problems and stay
within the rules.

So now I run my B-GT in FSP and I worked and scratched my way up to
occasional second or third place......routinely 2-3 seconds behind the
Scirroccos.  Those Sciroccos are an impressive lot in FSP, I'm just glad
there are only one or two running around here! (DC)

I have done several things to my car:
Backdated high compression engine
Engine balanced and bored .40 over (.47 max allowed)
Re-jetted (needled, really) carbs and matched ports
Peco exhaust and header
K&N Air Filters
Changed to bolt-on hubs with Panasport 15x7" wheels (to fit 205/50/15 race
rubber)
Lower/stiffer springs about 1 1/2"
Stiffer shocks
1" smaller steering wheel
I'm still trying to find the bushes that allow me to change camber and stay
in the rules.
This weekend I am installing a panhard rod and 7/8" front roll bar.  (Up all
night to be ready by 8:00 tomorrow morning?........)

Part of me wants to fit a scary cam and go balls out in SM2 - but a V-8
would be the way to go there (I checked - it's allowed!).

For your car, I'd say start out in H stock and see what happens.  If you
decide to go to FSP, you can always do that later.  It is often said, and it
is true, incremental improvements to your car are more easily managed and
appreciated.  For example, it was amazing how much nicer my B handled after
simply renewing bushes, springs and shocks.  The B is an absolute blast to
drive fast, and I can't seem to think of any other car I'd rather autocross,
whatever the competitive scenario.  For me, for now, FSP is a comfortable
fit.  If I were in a field of twenty Sciroccos, that could change!