RE: Electromotive distributorless ignition systems

To: "'Don Malling'" <dmallin@attglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: Electromotive distributorless ignition systems
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:33:10 -0800
Don:

The Electromotive systems become very useful if you are building a very
radical engine that requires critical adjustment of timing.  Usually that is
not required for a street engine, or allowed in a race engine.

The systems really come into their own when combined with fuel injection
and/or pressurized induction where the original systems cannot easily be
calibrated to work in the new environment.  I saw an example in Cleveland a
couple of years ago, in an 1980 MGB LE.  The car had a cross flow head with
a pair of TWM throttle bodies.  An Electromotive unit was used to control
both fuel and ignition.  At the time the owner had spent many, many hours
programming the system and still had some low end problems, as electronics
can not fix dynamic flow problems.

I'm considering using Electromotive for two projects, one a Fuel injected,
supercharged, cross flow B series and the other a supercharged Miata motor
in an MGA.  At the moment, these are just in the dream stage.  If any one
wants to chat about these silly thoughts just ask.

So in short answer.  On a carb'd LBC with fairly stock parameters I think
I'd rather spend the money on champagne.

all the best

Kelvin.