Re: Fuse problem?

To: <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Fuse problem?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:36:12 -0000
Coincidence, then.  Electrical problems can occur while parked up or
running.  As well as vibration shaking something loose while underway you
can get incipient corrosion that over time gradually creeps between two
parts that are supposed to be in contact.  Eventually the two parts become
electrically isolated, which can be because either the corrosion works right
through, or it just leaves a very small contact patch which when you turn
the item on and it tries to carry the normal current cannot do so and acts
like a fuse, going open circuit.

Check the white wires at the fusebox with the ignition on.  If they show a
good 12v then check both ends of the fuse holder, and the fuse and the
connectors on the ends of the green wires.  If there is no 12v at the
fusebox the 4-way connector with three whites should be with several others
in the engine compartment near where the firewall meets the right-hand inner
wing, it is where the loom to the back of the car meets the main loom that
goes from behind the dash to the engine compartment and on to the front
lights.

In both cases if any of the electrical parts show corrosion then clean them
up.  If it is the 4-way connector replace it, they are only pennies,
sometimes they can break internally as well as corrode.  Sometimes the
fusebox can get so cruddy that people replace them, not that expensive.  If
the wire connectors are a loose fit on the spades they can be squeezed
slightly for a tighter fit on the spade.  Another possibility is the wire
connector broken inside the plastic insulation, I once had a headlight fail
because of this, the insulation got nicked in the wheel arch and the
constant wet got in and corroded the copper strands right through.

Good luck,
Paul.