Re: How often to renew silicone hydraulic fluid

To: multitech@cairns.net.au, cattail@redshift.com, h.duinhoven@planet.nl,
Subject: Re: How often to renew silicone hydraulic fluid
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 10:06:44 EST
In a message dated 12/29/02 4:32:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
multitech@cairns.net.au writes:

> You would be flushing to clear this, even though the oil may still perfectly
> usable.  I suppose in theory the oil may be reusable, but whether you would
> bother.....

- - - - - - - - - - - -

It's not a good idea to reuse any brake fluid.  Regular fluid stored in an
open bottle will absorb water.  Silicone fluid holds itty-bitty (technical
term) bubbles of air for a very long time, so when it gets pumped out of the
system, say from bleeding, it should not be reused, or you will be bleeding
until the cows come home.  (Did anybody see those cows?)

I really missed the brake fluid thread (sorry Jay)!  Thanks, Hans!

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)
'75 MG Midget (The Project)