Re: How often to renew silicone hydraulic fluid

To: h.duinhoven@planet.nl, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How often to renew silicone hydraulic fluid
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 10:06:37 EST
In a message dated 12/28/02 7:41:54 AM Pacific Standard Time,
h.duinhoven@planet.nl writes:

> As my GT gets the winter attention, I wonder how often I should renew
> silicone hydraulic fluid, which I'm using.
> Normal fluid ought to renewed every two years...

- - - - - - - - - - -

Hans, the problem with silicone brake fluid is that it does not absorb water.
 (Hmmmm, the problem with regular brake fluid is that it DOES absorb water!)
Anyway, since silicone does not absorb water, any water in the system tends
to pool at low points.  This can cause corrosion, and the water can boil if
it gets near the hot brake parts.

I would recommend that you replace silicone fluid every two years.  (Three at
the most.)  And just a reminder, tiny bubbles of air stay for a long time in
silicone fluid, so be gentle when handling the bottle, do NOT reuse fluid
expelled during bleeding, and bleed again a few days later.

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)
'75 MG Midget (The Project)