Re: setting up air compressor - Off topic

To: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Subject: Re: setting up air compressor - Off topic
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 13:39:10 -0600
So I'm setting up my new air compressor. A fairly small
2HP oiler. And I got a couple of questions.

<<<snip>>>
1) Can I use it, or if not, where do I find non-detergent
oil?
<<<snip>>>
I bought compressor oil at Menards.  Use 30 wt.
non-detergent.  You can find it a hardware stores that cater
to the farming establishement.

<<<snip>>>
2) Then males on all the tools. Is that ok?
<<<snip>>>
That's the usual proceedure as the male connect is cheaper
and you need one for every tool.

<<<snip>>>
I found, when I got home, that the hose is 1/4 male thread
at
both ends, so I had to go back and get a coupler yesterday,
but I
haven't had a chance to hook it up yet.
<<<snip>>>
The spigot end can be found with male or female threads.  I
use the Lincoln style connectors.  These lock open when
disconnected.  Thus the locking ring doesn't have to be
pulled back to hook on a tool.

<<<snip>>>
3) Any worry about leaks? I have a roll of plumbers teflon
tape.
Should I use it, is it overkill, or will it do no good?
<<<snip>>>
Use it or PTF pipe thread compound.  Just make sure that
none of it is too close to the end and gets into the hose or
connection to plug up tools.

<<<Snip>>>
4) It should be ok to leave it pressurized all the time in
the garage, right? Leave it on or turn it off?
<<<snip>>>
You can probably leave the tank pressurized, but shut off
the power.  That's what I do.  You don't want the compressor
starting up when you not around to watch it.  In cold
climates or garages you don't want the compressor starting
up.  Sometimes the compressor is so stiff that the motor
cannot turn it over.  This can cause belts to slip, burn up,
or start fires.

Blake