A product I'd like to see

To: mgs@autox.team.net, whiland@semispares.com, vjeong@hotmail.com,
Subject: A product I'd like to see
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:33:01 -0800
When I built my motor, the crank pulley for the blower was large
enough to block the timing marks on the front cover. I took a degree
wheel (for setting and measuring cam timing) and attached it to the
front of the timing cover. It was a bit too big, so I tried attaching
a protractor inside to get marks right next to the pulley.

As with any prototype there are problems, the wheel is large enough
diameter that the bottom of it (from about 20-70 ATDC) hits on the
cross member. The plastic protractor warped from the heat and so
forth. On the other hand, I can get measurements of my timing at full
advance using a simple timing light, and I can see the marks with the
larger pulley on the engine.

I would love to see  a commercially made version of this that has
timing marks scribed "all the way in" and which is shaped to fit
properly on an installed motor.  They would be cheap to make being a
stamp cut piece of metal (aluminum) and a silk screening.

Here are a couple of mediocre pictures of my installation:
(yes I scribed the pulley so I can get timing of either 1&4 or 2&3)
http://www.red4est.com/lrc/pix/jrb021116N/pict0295N.jpg
http://www.red4est.com/lrc/pix/jrb021116N/pict0301N.jpg

As long as you were doing a custom silkscreen on it, you could print
all sorts of handy data, stock torque specs, a table for when various
cams open and close, timing specs your companies, url and phone number
etc.

  Larry

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.