Re: changing wheel offsets

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: changing wheel offsets
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:43:40 -0600
At 11:50 AM 1/22/03 -0800, Larry Colen wrote:
>If (when) I get a custom rear end made, I can just as easily get it made
>to accept Datsun wheels as MGB offset wheels. The advantage being that
>wheels made to the Datsun/Nissan offset are a lot easier and cheaper to find.
>
>My question is, how does this affect the front suspsension? What are the
>effects on handling of changing the offset by about an inch?

Suppose you make the rear end 2" narrower to accept wheels with 1" more
offset.  Then when you put the same wheels on the front they will protrude
1" more under the fenders, and may well rub on the front fenders (not to
mention it might look funny).  Otherwise the slightly wider front track may
actually improve cornering, but you may get a bit more jerk on the steering
wheel when you hit a pothole, because the tire contact patch on the ground
will be farther offset from the kingpin.

The next option would be to move the front hub in 1" closer to the
centerline of the car.  Now that should be no more expenseve that your
custom rear end, but may well be more expensive then custom made
wheels.  BTDT, and custom wheels ain't cheap.  Maybe put wider tires on the
back and narrower ones on the front?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com