RE: SU rebuild ok, need a little advice

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SU rebuild ok, need a little advice
From: "Marc Siegel" <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:25:13 -0500
Well, with the 20w50 in the dashpot, it was extremely stiff. What is an
appropriate weight of oil for temperatures between 11F - 20F?

> Sounds weak, and putting lighter oil in the dashpot could well make it
> worse.  Workshop Manual says 40 thou from the chamber face to the lowest
> part of the curve on the float.  Mixture setting can be tricky,

Can I infer that you think the mixture is too weak?

My info on float height from the video was between 40 - 60 thou, and they
used 50 thou to split the difference. The HIF floats seem to be a little
more difficult to adjust in that it's not extremely clear where exactly on
the float to measure the clearance from.

> turning each
> for maximum idle, then readjusting the other etc is an approximate way.
> Lifting pin is another but can be even more tricky to judge, raising by
> 1/16" should cause the revs to momentarily rise then settle back.  If they
> stay up it is too rich, if they die without rising too weak.  Better when

I was able to 'dial in' the correct setting when using the lifting pin
method. This is with a warmed up engine, hadn't really tried when it was
cold, since the video instructed me to let the engine come up to
temperature.

> warm?  Choke functioning?  Checked fuel delivery at the carbs?

Choke IS functioning. There is fuel, but I will check the delivery rate,
although I don't  believe that to be a problem.

> Should be at
> least 1 pint per minute.  On the principle that 90% of carb problems are
> caused by the ignition did you fully set this up to?  Is the tach dropping
> with the stumble?  Have you put a timing light on each plug lead
> and checked
> it is is still flashing during the stumble?

No, but that seems like an easy way to determine that. I'll try it. Will
recheck the timing while I have the light out. However, the vaccuum advance
diaphram on my 25D is shot, and it runs on mechanical advance only. Been
like that a long time. The vaccuum port on the manifold is plugged, there is
no leak.

I hadn't observed the tach during the occurance but will look next time I
have a chance to mess with the car. I'm guessing that if the tach drops it's
ignition related?

Thanks for the tips!

--
Marc Siegel, Charm Net, LLC.  eMail: smarc@abs.net