Re: SU rebuild ok, need a little advice

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU rebuild ok, need a little advice
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 02:12:03 -0600
>Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:35:40 -0500
>From: "james" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
>Subject: Re: SU rebuild ok, need a little advice
>
>I have heard about using ATF, but I think that was for summer settings, is
>this correct?
>
>James Nazarian

I always understood the rationale for using ATF was that you could use it
year 'round since viscosity doesn't change with temperature variances like
engine oil does. If your carbs (especially the piston tubes and dampers)
are in good enough shape, unlike mine, that you only have to refill them
once a year, then tranny fluid should work just fine if it gives you the
response your looking for in the first place. Most of my carbs need
refilled every month or so and I throw in a little of whatever I'm using
for an oil chinge.

If your engine is in good enough shape to respond to differences in dashpot
oil weight, you're a better man than I Gunga Dinh.

And in reference to the HIF v. HS v. ZS thread, if you're running HIF's and
they're in good shape then, in theory, using ATF would avoid any need at
all to even look at the carbs during a quarterly tune up.

Glenn

Glenn Schnittke
Vice-President
Tennessee Spokes Sports Car Club