Re: SU rebuild ok, need a little advice

To: "Marc Siegel" <smarc@abs.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU rebuild ok, need a little advice
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:10:15 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Siegel" <smarc@abs.net>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 3:25 PM

> Well, with the 20w50 in the dashpot, it was extremely stiff. What is an
> appropriate weight of oil for temperatures between 11F - 20F?

That is a bit nippy, book says use (engine, gearbox and carbs) 5W/20 or
5W/30 for all temps below 15F, 10W40 to 20W/50 above.  Obviously if your
ambients fluctuate around 15F it isn't practicable to keep changing it, but
if consistently and significantly below freezing during the winter period
I'd probably change the grade with the seasons.

> Can I infer that you think the mixture is too weak?

Yes, by the sound of it.

> I was able to 'dial in' the correct setting when using the lifting pin
> method. This is with a warmed up engine, hadn't really tried when it was
> cold, since the video instructed me to let the engine come up to
> temperature.

I'd agree with that.

> I hadn't observed the tach during the occurance but will look next time I
> have a chance to mess with the car. I'm guessing that if the tach drops
it's
> ignition related?

Yes, ignition LT i.e. coil, points, condenser, or any of the
interconnections.